History Bois: Adventures in Time & Gender, is a free-to-attend residency onboard the ONCA Barge at Brighton Marina, comprising an exhibition, installation work, performances and workshops. It is supported by the University of Brighton and co-curated by transgender, trans-disciplinary artist EM Parry and multi-disciplinary artist and writer SL Grange, who draw on their work in queer history, performance, gender studies and drag. Both are PhD candidates and theatre-makers.
The programme is as follows, with full details and booking links available HERE.
- Wednesday, June 23, 6 – 9pm: History Bois: Adventures in Time & Gender residency launch party event hosted by Jacobethan drag king Mal Content. Historical fancy dress encouraged with prizes for innovation, effort, and starching.
- Wednesday, June 23 – Saturday, June 26: We Elizabethans – a cluster of sibling works: Closet Dramas – photographic exhibition; Fag Ends // Fag Breaks -installation & performances; A Lucky Resurrection – live writing / seance.
- Thursday, June 24, 2.30 – 3.30pm: Political Drag workshop with Leah Kirby AKA CYRO. Creating art inciting change & incorporating non-Western performance techniques, Leah Kirby/ Cyro explores socio-economic & political issues through non-traditional formats. This event will be supported by a BSL interpreter.
- Friday, June 25, 3 – 4.30pm: Meeting the Unruly Dead with SL Grange. This online workshop run by poet, drag king and artist SL Grange is for folks wanting to connect with their queer tr/ancestors.
- Friday, June 25, 7.30 – 9pm: ONCABarge: Fag Ends // Fag Breaks performance / installation – Fag Ends // Fag Breaks lurks in the margins between performance, installation, seance, conversation, and queerly unravelling lecture. It is accompanied by A Lucky Resurrection – a live, improvised writing event by SL Grange.
- Saturday, June 26, 2.30 – 4.30pm: Show Thyself! – queer history self- fashioning workshop. SL Grange and E.M. Parry invite you to an exploration of historically-inspired queer self-fashioning. Combining creative writing with photographic portraiture and dressing up, expect a gentle, playful process that invites you to explore an alternate self, play at being someone else, and/or meet your unruly dead tr/ancestors by becoming them. This event will be supported by a BSL interpreter.